10° 40' N, 61° 30' W

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Bestsellers

On Sunday on my way to Birkbeck I walked past the London Review Bookshop, though it was shut at the time. It's small, and I don't see what the fuss is all about. The literary types who've it basically called up their journalist friends and got some free advertising. I wonder at this bookshop for snobs--people who prouldy say "we have no 3 for 2 offers". What's wrong with discounting?

Lance Knobel says the issue is that most bookshops don't have the "right" books. What are the right books? I impression is that people have heterogenous preferences, and that such a concept is different for everyone. I, for one, will continue to love Borders. It's open late (except Sunday, thanks to the working time directive) serves coffee and has friendly enough staff. And for me, at least, it has the right books, and it can get them if it didn't.